At school these days (my school, anyway) we've got a whole 'pupil choice' thing going on. You know, with lots of pictures of teachers and pupils high fiving and 'working together to create excellence for the new community.'
But school can never be fun for most people. (The exceptions being the criminally insane amongst us. You can recognise them by the frantic, needy light in their eyes.) Mainly because so many teachers drag the subjects out and kick all joy from them. Take my Support For Learning class. Three periods worth of teaching (ie, 150 minutes of it) and we managed to cover roughly three points. It's mind numbingly boring, not to mention how patronising teachers can be when they out their minds to it. My geography teacher springs to mind. Is it my fault she didn't know what an ornithomancer was? No. And yet she still downgraded my mark on that essay, because her instant assumption when a student has a larger vocabulary than her is that they must have copy and pasted it from Wikipedia.
Anyway, back to pupil choice and all that. We're picking our options in school at the moment, and it's really bloody stressful. I have, as yet, no idea about the limits of my intelligence in terms of memory, etc, so I have no idea if I'll be able to cope with exams and get good enough marks to get into university to study veterinary surgery. It's frightening really- all through first year you're treated like kids, and now halfway through our second year weve suddenly got our future, in the form of a rather intimidating pink folder, shoved into our clammy hands. Not that my hands are clammy. That would be disgusting.
Where was I?
Oh yes, the panic about my future. There are days when I'm all 'FUCK YEAH! I'LL PASS MY EXAMS, HEAD OFF TO UNIVERSITY THEN START A VETERINARY SURGERY, BECOME INSTANTLY SELF SUFFICENT, AND KEEP PEDIGREE GOATS!' Then I'll go into a subjec, take one look at the formula on the board, quietly deflate, and think 'Fuck it, I'll just work in McDonald's.
Still, one good thing is that at least I'll be able to drop Home Economics. We had it today- there's fifty minutes of my life I won't be seeing again. The irony being I can't even eat 90% of the things we make, because I'm a vegetarian. Therefore, that lesson is essentially pointless to me. I will never wonder what I'll make for dinner, and then shove some pieces of a cow in a wrap. Well, an ex-cow now. But that's beside the point.
Oh, sod it. I'll work in McDonalds, keep loads of dogs, live off Mild Curry Supernoodles, and die alone. Simples... *chirp*
No comments:
Post a Comment